- Kazakhstan Temir Zholy
KANNFINCH worked in collaboration with LAVA to develop this innovative and cutting edge design solution for the Astana Central Railway Station. The 9 hectare site incorporates a transport interchange for rail, bus, LRT with associated ancillary areas, platforms, waiting areas, ticketing, luggage handling and security, as well as retail outlets, a cinema and a hotel.
The Railway Station is the main place of arrival to the city, and acts as a symbol of this progressive and forward-thinking international destination. Clear roof spans generate a large and dramatic space, and avoid the need for vertical supports on the concourse area, minimising obstructions to pedestrian flow.
Cutting edge sustainability features include:
* low energy microclimate design
* ground source heat pumps and thermal piles
* decentralised power via natural gas tri-generation plant provides space heating and cooling via absorption chillers
* positive contribution to the district heating network
* rain / grey / black water re-use
* recycled materials in construction
* maximised daylight through the “smart building skin”- roof structure with integrated cladding system