Masdar City Centre
Masdar, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company
- Concept Design Complete
KANNFINCH worked in collaboration with LAVA on this cutting edge international design competition winning scheme. The project aims to integrate the highest standards of sustainable design to create a landmark public space that embodies the Masdar vision of a zero emission city.
The 80,000sqm master plan incorporates a wide variety of uses including a retail mall, a 5 star hotel, serviced apartments, entertainment precinct and a convention centre. The design seeks to enclose a central plaza with building massing informed by natural erosion patterns to create a ‘heart’ for Masdar city.
Sustainability principles used in the design include:
- Unique ‘sunflower umbrella’ elements which shade the outdoor space during the day and capture solar heat, then close at night and release the heat.
- Powered entirely by renewable energies with zero emissions and zero waste
- Rainwater captured by roof gardens for use
- Recycled grey water
- Daylight and shading carefully optimized for each façade
- Perimeter zones act as transitional spaces, providing thermal buffer between external (ambient) and internal (conditioned) spaces